April 2007 / Volume 52 / Number 4
38th RESPIRATORY CARE Journal Conference
Respiratory Controversies in the Critical Care Setting Part I
A Special Issue
Ira M Cheifetz MD FAARC
Neil R MacIntyre MD FAARC
- Foreword: Respiratory Controversies in the Critical Care Setting
- by Ira M Cheifetz and Neil R MacIntyre—Durham, North Carolina
- When Caring for Critically Ill Patients, Do Clinicians Have a Responsibility to Be Innovative and Try Unproven Approaches When Accepted Approaches Are Failing?
- by Bruce K Rubin—Winston Salem, North Carolina and Kenneth P Steinberg—Seattle, Washington
- Should Aerosolized Antibiotics Be Administered to Prevent or Treat Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia in Patients Who Do Not Have Cystic Fibrosis?
- by Neil R MacIntyre—Durham, North Carolina and Bruce K Rubin—Winston Salem, North Carolina
- Should Every Mechanically Ventilated Patient Be Monitored With Capnography From Intubation to Extubation?
- by Ira M Cheifetz—Durham, North Carolina and Timothy R Myers—Cleveland, Ohio
- Should All Patients Be Treated With Hypothermia Following Cardiac Arrest?
- by Steven Deem—Seattle, Washington and William E Hurford—Cincinnati, Ohio
- Does Airway Pressure Release Ventilation Offer Important New Advantages in Mechanical Ventilator Support?
- by Timothy R Myers—Cleveland, Ohio and Neil R MacIntyre—Durham, North Carolina
- Do the NIH ARDS Clinical Trials Network PEEP/FIO2 Tables Provide the Best Evidence-Based Guide to Balancing PEEP and FIO2 Settings in Adults?
- by Richard H Kallet—San Francisco, California and Richard D Branson—Cincinnati, Ohio
- Should Adaptive Pressure Control Modes Be Utilized for Virtually All Patients Receiving Mechanical Ventilation?
- by Richard D Branson—Cincinnati, Ohio and Robert L Chatburn—Cleveland, Ohio
Books, Films, Tapes, & Software
- Clinical Evaluation of Medical Devices: Principles and Case Studies, 2nd ed (Becker KM, Whyte JJ, editors)
- reviewed by Steven C Springmeyer—Seattle, Washington
- Study Design and Statistical Analysis: A Practical Guide for Clinicians (Katz MH)
- reviewed by Thomas A Lang—Davis, California
- Bronchial Asthma: A Guide for Practical Understanding and Treatment, 5th ed (Gershwin ME, Albertson TE, editors)
- reviewed by Tina V Hartert—Nashville, Tennessee
- Childhood Asthma (Szefler SJ, Pedersen S, editors)
- reviewed by Martha V White—Wheaton, Maryland
- Sarcoidosis (Baughman RP, editor)
- reviewed by Robert Dinwiddie—London, United Kingdom
- Bird Flu: Diagnosis & Treatment (Dawra S)
- reviewed by Philip L Goodman—Denver, Colorado