May 2007 / Volume 52 / Number 5
38th RESPIRATORY CARE Journal Conference
Respiratory Controversies in the Critical Care Setting Part II
A Special Issue
Ira M Cheifetz MD FAARC
Neil R MacIntyre MD FAARC
- Should Tidal Volume Be 6 mL/kg Predicted Body Weight in Virtually All Patients With Acute Respiratory Failure?
- by Kenneth P Steinberg—Seattle, Washington and Robert M Kacmarek—Boston, Massachusetts
- Should Noninvasive Positive-Pressure Ventilation Be Used in All Forms of Acute Respiratory Failure?
- by Dean R Hess—Boston, Massachusetts and Henry E Fessler—Baltimore, Maryland
- Should Heliox Be Used for Mechanically Ventilated Patients?
- by William E Hurford—Cincinnati, Ohio and Ira M Cheifetz—Durham, North Carolina
- Does High-Frequency Ventilation Offer Benefits Over Conventional Ventilation in Adult Patients With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome?
- by Henry E Fessler—Baltimore, Maryland and Dean R Hess—Boston, Massachusetts
- Should Weaning Protocols Be Used With All Patients Who Receive Mechanical Ventilation?
- by Robert L Chatburn—Cleveland, Ohio and Steven Deem—Seattle, Washington
- Should Recruitment Maneuvers Be Used in the Management of ALI and ARDS?
- by Robert M Kacmarek—Boston, Massachusetts and Richard H Kallet—San Francisco, California
Books, Films, Tapes, & Software
- Respiratory Disease: A Case Study Approach to Patient Care, 3rd ed (Wilkins RL, Dexter JR, Gold PM)
- reviewed by John M Hughes—Millersville, Pennsylvania
- Respiratory Care (Francis C)
- reviewed by Elizabeth A McNamara-Aslin and Douglas M Aslin—Seattle, Washington
- The Respiratory System at a Glance, 2nd ed (Ward JPT, Ward J, Leach RM, Wiener CM)
- reviewed by David J Horne—Seattle, Washington
- The Washington Manual Pulmonary Medicine Subspecialty Consult (Shifren A, editor)
- reviewed by John G McCartney—Madison, Wisconsin
- Lung Function: Physiology, Measurement, and Application in Medicine, 6th ed (Cotes JE, Chinn DJ, Miller MR)
- reviewed by Jeffrey M Haynes—Nashua, New Hampshire
- Human Respiration: Anatomy and Physiology, Mathematical Modeling, Numerical Simulation, and Applications (Kulish V, editor)
- reviewed by Melissa A Krueger—Seattle, Washington